Tuesday, July 5, 2011

up

"Knowledge not increased is knowledge destroyed" (Hillel, Pirkei Avot 1:13)

You know that feeling when all goes well? When you just wake up and look around and it seems like everything is going forward? You have decided to make yourself move up. As if that thing that had been bugging you for so long seems irrelevant? And that one thing that keeps you down repeatedly... which burns your brain and keeps you from breathing, and pushes you into bed or into mistakes, starts fading.

This morning I woke up feeling so happy. I just knew that the day was going to be great, even if the weather outside seemed to be falling down on me, stopping me from whatever I want, and then the sun just peeked out of the clouds, and I continued on to a camp where I was greeted, along with two other volunteers, by almost 300 Ukrainian children cheering and screaming "HELLO!!!" And I saw that I have all that potential to make a kid smile just because she saw asking "how are you?" was enough to make me smile and communicate.

All of the work I can put into increasing my knowledge instead of destroying myself with television shows (although, LOST has helped time move faster when I am in between meetings), facebook (deactivation project is going well), obsessing over food blogs (one recipe in a million gets cooked), transitioning from love to hate to love to disgust to hate to ... I forgot to keep up that hobby I picked up in a fleeting moment. When we bother with all of those things in extreme, we lose sight of learning, stop going up and stick to what's bad. Man, I hate that.

"HELLO!!!" All you need to do is remember: "You will be holy, because I, God, am holy" (Leviticus 11:44)

No comments:

Post a Comment