Sunday, July 17, 2011

seize

Dudley Clendinen so perfectly writes in two pages about death. I have been trying to write and write and convey for the past 9 months something special about life and service, and I read this man's published words, maybe some of his last, and he zings me into the atmosphere after less than 2000 words and gets me thinking about death.

I love how he writes, as if I'm the one only one reading it and knows what he's thinking. He eases me into a conversation about death, convinces me that humans fail to really recognize that death is natural, exciting and inevitable. And the way he mentions us - for wanting so badly to live, even at the expense of our loved ones' wallets and time, hearts and emotions - it hardly even feels like a critique.

I love seeing that everything he is writing is carefully chosen - all the ink and effort that he uses is of value. Like, each word he wrote was a last breath for him. As if, his last words are of true worth, real advice - with all that is left of him he is trying to tell me, us, anyone... "I think it's important to say that."

All has been good. If you are already a loved one, then my announcement of coming home in October for a visit should be of no surprise... but it feels good to know that it's in less than three months, and I am happy that I can write about it in/on here. Three months until I can soak in my home, energy and love. Does it feel like I'm talking to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment