Tuesday, October 26, 2010

And he came down from the mountain...

Peace Corps has ten core beliefs that it considers to be the mission and mantra of the whole experience. While I am in Ukraine struggling to understand my role in this huge organization's efforts around the world, there is someone all the way in China, in Dominican Republic, or Tonga (or the other 77 places around the world) in my same shoes. What do these values mean to me, and how am I supposed to apply them to my service here? As a part of the application process, Peace Corps requires that every applicant must agree to these ideas. Even after one submits, there is an endless reference to these values in order to ensure that every person understands, or at least is aware of these expectations.

In Ukraine, there is a proverb "Gods don't make pots." The reason I introduce this thought after a quick 101 on PC's application is because the ten values sometimes seem almost god-like. Thousands of people every year volunteer their time to serve in various ways, and then some leave along the way for many different reasons. This proverb was shared at the very beginning of our language classes (only 3 weeks ago!) and I am hoping that it will push me when I am feeling confused or lonely. Gods do not make pots - and if Gods don't make pots, then Gods also don't commit to two years abroad in an intensive fellowship.

I am in the middle of an intensive language program, and I have an immense amount of work ahead of me in just the next month. Today, we decided to create a resource handbook of American-English games and situational role-plays for the English teachers to use in school. Tomorrow I learn more ways to say "to go" in Russian, and on Saturday I am going to Kiev to be a tourist.

I am just simply excited.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to enjoy the thoughts of a fellow volunteer who helps inspire me during overwhelming days. : )

    ReplyDelete