Sunday, October 3, 2010

хорошее хорошее

Hi from Ukraine! I have finally arrived and I am into the training process! These past few days have been quite a trip. The first things I saw in Ukraine were farmlands and cowsheds, and I don't actually think that's much different from the Catskills or RT 17 upto Binghamton, NY. We spent a day in a hotel type place, and there I hung out with fellow volunteers and learned a few more things about health and safety. I met a few new people, but the orientation was so quick I hardly remember anyone's name.

I am in cluster D and live in a small-sized city called Vasylkiv along with 9 other volunteers. We are learning Russian which means that my future site has a greater potential of being more East, but I really have no idea. All I know, is that sometime this year when it gets warmer I will be using my Russian to lead me down south to the Black Sea. Three of the volunteers live in the same apartment complex as I do, which makes it really nice for travel and hanging out. My host mother's name is тамара (Tamara) and she lives in a small place with another room for me and a room rented out to another girl. тамара has two children who have kids of their own. She is quite a good cook, even though I am not such a meat-person (every. single. meal.) and I think she has taken note that I love salad and soup.

тамара does not know a single word of English so it makes conversation quite funny and frustrating at the same time. Last night I mooed at the table as a way to ask about the meat's origin, a moment which might be considered unoriginal in a normal volunteer's life. We have taken to a lot of hand motions and pointing, sometimes including a small slip up of Hebrew. Hopefully in a week's time I will be able to carry a small conversation with her about the weather.

Until then, keep warm for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment