Do not think about the end. The end might be a few years away, and if you think about something finishing before you have hardly even started, then you might as well just quit while your ahead. Even if it means that there is something very near in sight (like a visitor, Saturday) or a holiday (Purim in Kyiv, March 20), those might just be the small motivations that will help you while you are shortly frustrated (unmotivated students, bratty students, unfriendly people at the gym, angry drivers, fair weather friends, aggressive colleagues, weird classmates, etc...) if the day just went completely wrong.
I had a day like this a week ago. I used the gym and some time with the Kaminetsky's to cheer me up. Subconsciously the visit to Kyiv was also helping me, but now that I have clear countdowns of things happening in my life in the next month or two, it won't be possible for any bump to get me down. Thank you Jeremy for the piece of advice.
My list of "me" activities is growing slowly. I have also begun private Russian tutoring with my good friend Sergey who has agreed to teach me, so now I have developed a packed schedule which keeps me out of the house and in my city.
Also, Happy Valentine's Day, my least favorite holiday for lovers but the best holiday for friends and family. I spoke with my students about "My Perfect Match" and we read this essay which was extremely well written and very moving. I think Steve Lewish might have a point about love's mysteries. I miss you, Ima... I hope that in two years we can exchange a mug and some chocolate again.
i always forget to read your blog! i have to try to remember to because I love reading what you are up to <3
ReplyDeletemiss you mucho!